Thursday, April 19, 2007

It was an Interesting day

S: I woke-up this morning at 5:30ish to get to work early so I could drive with one of the physical therapist to do a back clinic. Being up and at'em so early brought some important things to my attention such as: 1) donut places and Whataburger are the only things open before 7:00 am and 2) old retired guys look forward to meeting at these donut places to start their day.

O: When I got back to the clinic I didn't have many patients to see so the day was fairly uneventful except for two unforgettable people. The first was a young man who came to get a physical for his job, this guy was skinny and his pant were too big. The first thing I asked him to do is to take off his shirt and shoes, which is standard protocol. Low and behold that under his too big pants he is not wearing any underwear, which in his daily routine may not be a big deal. This is a problem in this situations because the physical required him to do activities that will cause him to sweat, which has to be uncomfortable, and it also requires him to bend to touch his toes to get range of motion measurements. Sadly enough this is not the first time someone has come to a pre-employment screen "commando", but a little modesty goes along way considering they are out in the open and ladies perform part of the physical. The next situation makes me want to go back to elementary, junior high and high school and pay attention in Spanish class. Being from Texas it is not uncommon to encounter people who only speak Spanish, but this is not a problem until you are attempting to give instructions to perform movements and the only people who can translate are laughing at you. I am trying to learn the terms that apply for this these screens but I don't use them enough to learn them.

O: So what I need to do is first of all send a memo to employers sending people for jobs asking them to tell these guys to wear underwear when they come or if they don't at least wear pants that fit. Secondly I need to go back to school or at least to a Spanish of physical therapist class so I communicate and possibly make more money.

P: Hope that tomorrow bring people who aren't going to flash me and speak fluent English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home