Monday, July 02, 2007

I hate Orientation

Today was my first day at my new location and I spent a little less than 8 hours watching videos and filling out paper work. I had packet after packet of information from healthcare law to fire safety each of which was followed by a quiz. To make matters worse I was confined to a room that was relatively 8 feet by 8 feet with the HR lady checking in on my every 30 to 45 minutes to make sure I was doing alright. The up side to it all is I got a free lunch out of the whole thing and I was able to go home early. And to prove there efforts weren't in vain I will impart some of the wisdom I've gained upon the two to three people that read my blog.

1st Fire safety:
The first thing to remember during a fire is R.A.C.E.
Rescue
Alarm
Confine
Extinguish or Evacuate

There are 3 main types of fire extinguisher
Type A is for normal combustibles like paper and wood
Type B is for gasoline fires or fires caused by other flammable liquids
Type C is for electrical fires
There is also a fire extinguisher that is made for all three types of fires, so if you are going to by one I would suggest the one that can extinguish all three

The final thing to remember is P.A.S.S.
Pull the pin
Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze the trigger mechanism
Sweep nozzle so there is an equal distribution of extinguisher fluid

Now for Hazardous Materials
All facilities should have a Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) this is so you know what protective equipment you need to where when working with chemicals.
This book also lists boiling points, chemical that adversely react with whatever you are using and a physical description of the substance.

For everyone's sake I will stop there because I can't take anymore excitement and I know you can't take it either. I will keep you posted on what else is going on at my latest clinical site. Later all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cody Blair said...

dude you forgot the most important fire safety aspect: stop, drop, and roll!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Demet! I didn't know you had a blog! I just found it! Dave and I started one together and I'm sure we won't be good at keeping it up but you should add us to your links! Hope things are going well!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Luke Reeves said...

D,
If you need any tips on how to burn down a house, I'm your guy.

luke

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home