Thursday, May 24, 2007

WOUND CARE

I have spent the last two weeks working in the hospital treating chronic and acute wounds. Some of them are fairly easy to deal with like bedsores, but others are not as easy to deal with like wounds in the perinium (area between the gluteus maximus and the pubic area) caused by abcesses that got infected. A few people have wounds that have occured due to illnesses that have made them bed ridden, but others have wounds caused by lifestyle choices like allowing someone to shoot cocaine into your buttocks.
Over the past couple of weeks I have been in some semi-uncomfortable and flat out gross situations and I am proud to say that I have handled most of them in a professional manner.
One of the toughest things about working in a hospital is realizing that many people are there dying. I see families of patients in the hall or in waiting rooms awaiting news from doctors concering their loved ones and was 5 minutes away from being present when one of my patients stopped breathing. She was revived and is stable now though, but know that I could be there next time sort of freaks me out. All in all I am enjoying my time and seeing a lot of interesting people. If you read this and want to hear about some of the stuff I've seen just call and ask.

Here are some pictures of types of stuff I get to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home